Wednesday, March 22, 2006

"The Car Repair"

A couple of weeks ago, we were in an car accident. (No fault. I was driving).
Last week, I took the car in for repairs. I had a little cosmetic work done at the same toime so we can trade it in next month. Apparently, the repair shop doesn't take cards.... Since I was counting on paying with my credit card and didn't have the money to give a cheque, Mom paid by check and I planned on transferring the money from my credit card into her bank account. No problem, right?
Problem.... I can't transfer directly into her account without deporiting it into my account first and then into hers. The credit card and the bank account both have maximium daily limits.... So this simply operation takes three days to accomplish. Meanwhile, Lionel at the repair shop is kind enough to hang onto the cheque until the money is transferred.
Day 1: Mom calls my office in a panic..... "I just checked my account! I don't have enough to cover the cheque!"
Explanation: "Lionel is hanging on to the cheque until I can make all the transfers. I can't do another transfer until tomorrow."
"But what about the cheque?!"
Repeat part about cheque beig held until I call and tell him it's okay.
"Ah!" says she....
"So you are going to put the rest in tomorrow." (Statement, not question)
"No Mom, $1000 tomorrow and $1000 on Wednesday. The cheque won't go out of your account untill all the money is transferred."
"Ah!" says she.....
Day 2: Mom shows up at my office in a panic...... "I just checked my account! I don't have enough to cover the cheque!"
Repeat explanation about check, Lionel, transfers, amounts.....
"Ah!"
Day 3: Mom calls my office in a panic..... "I just checked my account! I don't have enough to cover the cheque!"
Repeat explanation about check, Lionel, transfers, amounts.....
"Ah!"
Brainstorm: Get Mother to write this down in her accountbook, clearly, and read back to me.
Fingers crossed....

No comments: